In fancy medical terms, dry mouth is known as xerostomia. It’s really just what it sounds like: a condition in which you don’t have enough saliva to keep your mouth moist. Dry mouth can be the result of certain medications you’re taking, aging, tobacco use, nerve damage, or chemotherapy.
Depending on whether you’re aware of the cause of your dry mouth, here are some simple ways to keep it at bay:
- Avoid drinks that contain alcohol or caffeine
- Avoid tobacco use, or lower your consumption of tobacco
- Floss after every meal
- Brush your teeth after every meal using a fluoride toothpaste
- Avoid foods that have a high level of salt
- Stay hydrated and drink water frequently
- Consider using a humidifier at night
If you have any questions about dry mouth and how it is affecting you, give our Dallas,TX office a call or make sure to ask Drs. Sheena Allen, Murat Ayik, and Mark Margolin during your next visit!