"Smoking Teeth" (YouTube Video)
"It Really Is Mercury?" (YouTube Video)
"The Beautiful Truth" - excerpts (YouTube Video)
Dr. Berland, a key note speaker at the annual American Academy Of Cosmetic Dentistry meeting, has not placed a mercury filling since 1989 when the Environmental Protection Agency declared the left over amalgam a hazardous substance.
Everyday we see people with broken teeth and tooth aches caused by old silver fillings that have expanded with temperature and time like the mercury in old thermometers. These teeth now need crowns, root canals, or extractions. Frequently, there's decay under the fillings due to the fact that they were done before recent advances in caries (decay) detectors and bonded restorations to seal out the decay from forming at the margins. And, of course, there's no denying those warnings on the label."
ACTUAL WARNING LABEL ON CONTAINERS OF AMALGAM (MERCURY) FILLINGS
In the past, replacing big ugly silver fillings consisted of lab fabricated restorations. This would entail excessive tooth removal, impressions, temporaries, and two appointments. Now, by combining oldstyle care withnew age technology, we can save teeth, remove these mercury fillings and fix the broken down teeth in just one appointment.
BONDED TOOTH COLOREDINLAYS/ONLAYS
- We follow the IAOMT protocol for removal of amalgam fillings
- We remove amalgam fillings under a rubber dam for isolation & your protection.
- We use special air filters, and an oxygen mask (with or without nitrous oxide) to help reduce your inhalation of mercury.
- Generally speaking, teeth that have been prepared for silver fillings have holes that are simply too big or undercut to replace with direct bonded composite fillings.
- We remove the silver fillings, use a decay detector to eliminate any decay, insulate the tooth, take an impression, and fabricate a piece of polymer resin in the laboratory under heat, pressure and light, and then bond it in the same appointment.
- Rather than "cut the teeth down for crowns", we prefer to put the tooth back together like a jigsaw puzzle. The more we save of your natural tooth the better you feel. Of course, in certaincircumstances crowns are necessary.
Only a proper examination can determine what is best for you. If you have any questions, or would like to schedule an introductory visit, please contact us.
Get to know our friendly dental team.Learn More >